Departmental Visitors FAQ:
Questions regarding Visa
Campus Shared Services, CSS, is the main point of contact for administrative issues regarding visa related issues for departmental visitors. After your initial application is approved by the Economics Department, CSS will be in touch to help you gather all relevant documents and guide you through the process. When you arrive on campus, please be sure to attend your onboarding session. If you would like to leave the country and return, your CSS contact will advise you on this and the best way to do so.
Questions regarding building access/cardkey
Please see Joe Sibol in office 531 Evans to fill out a form for access in person. Please bring your card to verify identity and card numbers. Your card will be what you use to enter the building. Access to the building can only be set up in person with your card. The process of card activation is done in coordination with the UC Berkeley Police Department and can take up to a week or more.
Print and copy jobs/Where and how to print documents
Our main office workstudies can assist with printing. They work out of the main office, 530 Evans, and can be reached at email@example.com. Please specify how you would like the print job to be produced such as double sided print, stapled, etc, and the workstudy will email you when the job is ready. Please try to give as much lead time as you can in order to ensure the job will be handled on time.
Deliveries/ Can I have something delivered to the main office?
The general answer to this is yes. However, please coordinate with the main office if something large is arriving, or if there will be many deliveries. Unless special arrangements have been made, all deliveries should be made to the department reception at 530 Evans Hall/MC 3880/ Berkeley, CA 94720-3880. Staff and faculty mail boxes are in 530 Evans Hall.
Questions regarding space allocation/ how do I get an office?
Space in the Econ Department is impacted and there is often a waiting list for offices. If you have questions about office space, please contact Emil Schissel, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding fees:
There are several processing fees associated with visiting appointments; e.g. the campus Visiting Scholar and Postdoctoral Appointment ($750), DS-2019 request form for J-1 visa Exchange Scholars ($500), and SEVIS fees. In addition, the Department has instituted a fee structure for visitors. Fee schedule is as follows:
• $6000 for one calendar year
• $2500 per semester
• $1500 for summer
• Fees may be prorated on a monthly basis
Payment is coordinated through the Joe Sibol, the visiting scholar administrator for the department, in coordination with the Chair’s office, and our budget officer Jane Youn (email@example.com). Fees are required to be paid before arrival. Any exceptions to the payment arrangements or fee structure is contingent upon a petition from the faculty sponsor of the visitor to the Chair’s office.
How do I pay my fees:
Departmental fees must be paid before your arrival by check or money order. Credit cards are not currently accepted. Please contact Jane Youn (firstname.lastname@example.org)to make arrangements for payment.
Information on HOUSING
You may find the following web sites helpful in making your preparations for your housing:
2. Cal Rentals is the rental resource for the UC Berkeley Community.
3. Craig's List (go under the category of "housing")
4. ScholarStay.com (they offer comfortable & secure place to stay near UC Berkeley)
5. Airbnb (Airbnb is a social website that connects people who have space to spare with those who are looking for a place to stay.)
6. Sabbatical Homes (Sabbatical Homes is the academic community's resources for home exchanges and home rentals.)
- Berkeley Economics Semester Abroad Program (BESAP) Partners
- Graduate Economics Student Exchange Program (GESEP) Partners
- Non-BESAP/GESEP Programs - BISP-LS and BGA
- For all other visiting concurrent enrollment students, please review the following information: Enrollment for all other UC Extension Students