Visitor Resources

Departmental Visitors FAQ:

Questions regarding Visa

Campus Shared Services, CSS, is the main point of contact for administrative issues regarding visa related issues for departmental visitors. After your initial application is approved by the Economics Department, CSS will be in touch to help you gather all relevant documents and guide you through the process. When you arrive on campus, please be sure to attend your onboarding session. If you would like to leave the country and return, your CSS contact will advise you on this and the best way to do so.

Questions regarding building access/cardkey

Please fill out the Evans Hall Building Access Form to request building access. The Main Office will work with Facilities Services to determine eligibility and may take a week or more for the request to be completed. For any additional questions regarding building access/cardkey, please email or call directly at 510-642-0822.

Print and copy jobs/Where and how to print documents 

Our main office workstudies can assist with printing. They work out of the main office, 530 Evans, and can be reached at Please specify how you would like the print job to be produced such as double sided print, stapled, etc, and the workstudy will email you when the job is ready. Please try to give as much lead time as you can in order to ensure the job will be handled on time.

Deliveries/ Can I have something delivered to the main office?

The general answer to this is yes. However, please coordinate with the main office if something large is arriving, or if there will be many deliveries. Unless special arrangements have been made, all deliveries should be made to the department reception at 530 Evans Hall/MC 3880/ Berkeley, CA 94720-3880. Staff and faculty mail boxes are in 530 Evans Hall.

Questions regarding space allocation/ how do I get an office?

Space in the Econ Department is impacted and there is often a waiting list for offices. If you have questions about office space, please contact Eric Castro,

Questions regarding fees:

There are several processing fees associated with visiting appointments; e.g. the University Services Fee, DS-2019 request form for J-1 visa Exchange Scholars ($650), and SEVIS fees. The University Services Fee schedule is as follows:

  • Visiting Scholars: 1st year, $750; 2nd consecutive year and beyond is $1500.
  • Visiting Student Researchers: 1st year, $1000; 2nd consecutive year and beyond is $2500.

In addition, the Department has instituted a fee structure for visitors.  Fee schedule is as follows:

•    $6000 for one calendar year
•    $2500 per semester
•    $1500 for summer
•    Fees may be prorated on a monthly basis

Payment is coordinated through the Office & Business Services Coordinator, Eric Castro, in coordination with the Chair’s office, and our Financial Services Analyst, Morling Cortez ( Fees are required to be paid before arrival. Any exceptions to the payment arrangements or fee structure is contingent upon a petition from the faculty sponsor of the visitor to the Chair’s office.

How do I pay my fees:

Departmental fees must be paid before your arrival by check or money order. Credit cards are not currently accepted. Please contact Morling Cortez ( make arrangements for payment. 

Information on HOUSING

You may find the following web sites helpful in making your preparations for your housing:     

1.  Berkeley International Office (Living in Berkeley)  and (Living at Cal) 

2.  Cal Rentals is the rental resource for the UC Berkeley Community.

3.  Craig's List (go under the category of "housing")

4. (they offer comfortable & secure place to stay near UC Berkeley)

5.  Airbnb (Airbnb is a social website that connects people who have space to spare with those who are looking for a place to stay.)

6.  Sabbatical Homes  (Sabbatical Homes is the academic community's resources for home exchanges and home rentals.)


Student Visitors: