Read this page in its entirety for details on the Economics major admissions process.
FALL 2022 P/NP Policy: The Economics department will make no changes regarding the P/NP policy for prerequisite courses and courses used towards satisfying major requirements. All courses used for prerequisites and fulfilling major requirements will still need to be taken for a letter grade.
For Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021, students may elect the P/NP grading option for Economics prerequisites. Please visit Fall 2020 through Summer 2021: Economics P/NP Grading Option Policy Modifications for further details.
For all students pursuing the Economics major, who completed coursework at UC Berkeley in Spring 2020, please visit Spring 2020: Economics Academic Policy Updates for a comprehensive overview of the adjustments made to the admissions process due to the COVID-19 events of Spring 2020.
As an impacted major in high demand, declaration of the Economics major is admission-based and students must meet specific criteria in order to be admitted.
Why Economics? View this Virtual Roundtable to hear from a wide range of economists on why they became economists, how they effect change, and their powerful visions for the future (with you in it!). [Hosted by UMBC Department of Economics]
Spring 2023 Major Application is available here. The application will close Tuesday, February 21st at 4pm.
See below for deadlines.
There are four steps to the Economics admission process:
Review each step below to learn about the prerequisites, GPA requirement, timeframe/deadline to apply, and admission notifications. Students who successfully meet these admission requirements will be admitted into the Economics major.
All students pursuing the Economics major are encouraged to plan for an alternate major in case any of these steps do not work out. Information about majors can be found at http://guide.berkeley.edu/.
There are five prerequisites for admission to the Economics major; all of which must be completed or in-progress at the time of application for admission.
- ONE course required of Introduction to Economics (choose one):
- ECON 1 or ECON 2
- TWO courses required of Calculus*:
- MATH 1A or MATH 16A and
- MATH 1B or MATH 16B
- ONE course required of Introduction to Statistics (choose one)*:
- STAT 20, STAT 21, STAT W21, STAT 88/DATA C88S, STAT C131A, STAT 135, or STAT/DATA C140**
- ONE course required of Intermediate Economic Theory (Macroeconomics or Microeconomics) or Econometrics*** (choose one for admission, all three must be completed for graduation. See admissions policies if more than one is completed at the time of application.):
- ECON 100A or ECON 101A
- ECON 100B or ECON 101B^
- ECON 140 or ECON 141***
*At least one prerequisite in math or statistics must be completed at UC Berkeley.
**Effective Fall 2019, STAT 135 or STAT C140 may be used to fulfill the statistics prerequisite for the Economics major. Starting Spring 2020, STAT/COMPSCI/INFO C8, STAT 134, and IEOR 172 may no longer be used to meet the statistics prerequisite for the Economics major. Find more details below:
- Grades earned in STAT/COMPSCI/INFO C8, STAT 134, and IEOR 172 in Fall 2019 and prior will be included in the GPA calculation for admission to the major.
- Grades earned in STAT/COMPSCI/INFO C8, STAT 134, and IEOR 172 in Spring 2020 and later will NOT be included in the GPA calculation for admission to the major.
- Changes approved May 1, 2019.
- For more information, including common questions about C8 and STAT 88, please review the Economics Major Admissions: Statistics Prerequisite FAQ.
***Effective Fall 2019, students may choose ECON 140 or ECON 141 as a prerequisite for admission to the major. ECON 140/141 taken Fall 2019 and later will be included in the GPA calculation for admission to the major. (Approved May 1, 2019)
^Students may take UGBA 101B to fulfill the Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory requirement.
Want to know how exam credit (AP/IB/A-Levels) fulfills these requirements? Review the Exam Credit chart.
Have more questions? Check out the Economics Undergraduate Admissions Policies regarding the prerequisite course work.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 events of Spring 2020, the GPA requirements have been adjusted for students who took prerequisites in Spring 2020. Please visit Spring 2020: Economics Academic Policy Updates for detailed information.
Of the prerequisite courses taken at Berkeley, students must earn a specific GPA in order to be admitted into the Economics major. Exam credit and transfer coursework may be used to fulfill prerequisite course requirements, but are NOT used in the GPA calculation for admission to the major.
- GPA requirement for students who entered Berkeley as a FRESHMAN: minimum 3.0 GPA in the prerequisite courses taken at Berkeley.
- GPA requirement for students who entered Berkeley as a TRANSFER: minimum 2.7 GPA in the prerequisite courses taken at Berkeley.
Have more questions? Check out the Economics Undergraduate Admissions Policies regarding the GPA requirement.
To be considered for admission, all students must submit an application within a specific time frame during their academic career at Berkeley and by specific deadlines. All students are encouraged to apply in the semester in which they are completing their last prerequisite(s).
- Admission time frame for students who entered Berkeley as a FRESHMAN: Must apply for admission by the end of their fifth semester (does not include summers or withdrawn semesters) or prior to the accumulation of 80 units (does not include units earned in high school, but does include units in-progress at the time of application); whichever comes second. For most students, this is the fifth semester.
- Admission time frame for students who entered Berkeley as a TRANSFER: Must apply for admission by the end of their first semester. Summer session prior to the academic year does not count as the first semester.
Deadlines to apply: The review deadline for Spring 2023 is February 21, 2023.
Have more questions? Check out the Economics Undergraduate Admissions Policies regarding the timeframes and deadlines to apply.
Admissions review is conducted after final grades are posted. Students are notified of their admission decision via email according to the schedule listed below.
- Fall Review applicants: notified mid-January
- Spring Review applicants: notified mid-June
- Summer applicants: notified mid-September
Students who meet the admission requirements as listed above are guaranteed admission into the major. Instructions for officially declaring the major will be provided in the admission notification. Students are responsible for taking the necessary steps to ensure that they are officially declared in the Economics major after admission.
Students intending to add Economics as a second/additional major, must adhere to the requirements for admission before declaring the Economics major.
Did not meet requirements for admission? You are not eligible to declare the major if you have not met the requirements. We recommend you meet with an advisor in an alternate major to formulate a plan to declare another major. Please visit the Berkeley Guide to find the contact information for alternate majors.