Frequently Asked Questions

Prerequisite Courses

Can the statistics requirement be fulfilled at a community college?

Typically, no. The statistics course must be calculus-based and community college statistics courses usually are not. Articulation agreements are listed at

Can Economics 1 or 2 and calculus be taken elsewhere?

YES. Community colleges offer equivalent courses. The equivalent to either Economics 1 or 2 at community colleges is almost always two courses, microeconomics and macroeconomics. One course in math or statistics must be taken at UC Berkeley before applying to the Department. Since a calculus-based statistics course is seldom offered at community colleges, most students take the statistics course at UC Berkeley.

Will I receive credit for courses taken through UC Extension?

YES. Grades for any prerequisite courses taken at UC Extension with the prefix "XB" will both be computed into the overall GPA by UC and used to compute the economics prerequisite GPA.  Please note we do not accept the online courses Math X1A and X1B.

Applying to the Major

Is it possible to take Math 1A and 16B (or the equivalent) to complete the calculus requirement for the major?

Yes. However, if you take both Math 1A and 16B at UC Berkeley, you will only receive 2 units for Math 16B from UC Berkeley.

Can I apply to the Economics Major in Summer?

YES. The Department accepts applications during the first four weeks of fall, spring, and summer terms. The deadlines will be posted on the departmental website, and application forms and instructions can be found at prospective students.

Completing the Major Requirements

Can I take courses from outside the Economics Department towards my major requirements?

YES.  We recommend you review the list of approved courses. Additionally, you may take courses abroad or at other four-year institutions after they have been reviewed by the Economics Undergraduate Advisor. You can take no more than two of your eight upper division courses for the major from departments outside the Economics Department at UC Berkeley.

Can undergraduates take graduate courses?

YES.  First you must contact the professor teaching the course to make sure that you have adequate background in the subject material, then receive the professor's approval to enroll. No graduate level seminar course can be used to fulfill an upper division Economics major requirement. In general, graduate core courses (201AB, 202AB, 204, 210A, and 240AB) are restricted only to graduate students.

To graduate do I have to take courses from each of the three Economics categories?

NO. You will need to complete either the 100A/B or 101A/B sequence, 140 or 141, and 5 additional courses from any category. They can all be from the same category, if you choose.

Can upper division major courses be taken elsewhere?

YES. The Department will accept a maximum of two courses from another four-year school or EAP to fulfill major requirements.  Community college courses are not upper division level courses.


What do I do if I want to contest an Economics grade?

First, check your final exam.  It will be available in the departmental office at 530 Evans Hall for one year after the final examination. If you want to contest your grade after looking at your exam, contact your GSI for the class. If the two of you cannot resolve the problem, contact the instructor. If a mistake has been made, the instructor will submit a grade change with the Registrar's Office. Grade changes cannot be made based on reassessment of coursework but only because of a clerical error.