Study Abroad

Study abroad provides an opportunity to expand students' academic and cultural experiences while staying on track to complete the Economics major. Economics programs are widely available in universities worldwide.


(Photo credit: Hansen Sun)

EAP vs. Non-EAP

All courses taken through the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) are listed individually, with their accompanying grades, on the UC Berkeley transcript. They are UC-approved courses and will count toward the 120 unit requirement for graduation.

The courses taken from non-Education Abroad Programs (non-EAP) are transferred to the UC Berkeley transcript from an outside school, which means that the grades do not count in the UC GPA, but the units are counted toward the 120 unit requirement for graduation. The Undergraduate Chair will determine if coursework taken abroad is appropriate to fulfill a major requirement.

Petitioning Courses Taken Abroad

If students have a preliminary idea of where they are going abroad, they need to identify the courses of interest, provide copies of the syllabi (.pdf format only) to the Economics Department, and complete the course equivalency request form. Faculty will review the syllabi, and students will be notified via email if the courses have been approved.  Only economics courses are subject to approval.  Business, history, political sciences courses, etc., will not be approved, even if they are equivalent to courses on the approved electives list. Course descriptions are not an acceptable substitution for course syllabi and will not be reviewed. Course reviews can take 2-4 weeks.

Courses must transfer back to Berkeley with at least 2.7 upper division units to count for the Economics major, and it is the responsibility of the students to verify the units. A maximum of TWO upper-division courses taken outside of the department can be used towards economics degree requirements. (This includes approved economics elective courses taken at Berkeley that are outside of the economics department such as UGBA, Legal Studies, EEP, History, etc.)




Why Study Abroad
Studying abroad can provide many unique skills and experiences that are valuable to future employers, such as

  • Language skills
  • Flexible thinking and open mindedness
  • Independence
  • International and Cultural Awareness
  • Self-Confidence
  • Communication Skills

When to Study Abroad

Study abroad programs are available at all class levels. The particular semester, summer or year that students study abroad depends on their individual progress in the major, which course(s) they plan to complete abroad, and their immediate plans after graduation. Students interested in studying abroad should consult with their Economics Undergraduate Advisor to determine the best time period for a study abroad experience.

Students must take intermediate economics theory and econometrics here at UC Berkeley.  Of the eight upper division courses required for the Economics major, no more than two of these courses can come from departments outside the UC Berkeley Economics Department. Depending on course selection, students may be able to take up to two courses toward the Economics major abroad.

Where to Go
The UC Berkeley EAP office offers programs in over 40 locations from which to choose (and over 100 different program options in those countries). Some offer only intensive language and culture programs, others offer “set” courses which may or may not fit the major. The majority allows students to choose from regular host university course choices (offered in English or the host country language). The best way to choose is to look over the options and consult with the Education Abroad Center Advisors (located at 160 Stephens Hall).  Students should also talk with the Economics Undergraduate Advisor to help decide which EAP University would be a good fit with the UC Berkeley Economics major.

Additionally, there are many programs run by other universities and organizations. The course approval process is the same, though students should talk with The Office of Undergraduate Admissions about transferring the units back to UC Berkeley.

A Note About EAP and Graduation Requirements
All prospective EAP applicants, particularly students who intend to study abroad during their senior year, should consult with the College of Letters & Science Advising Office for information on the university residency requirement.  Recognizing the special value of study abroad, the faculty has approved certain exceptions to the usual residency requirement for students participating in EAP.  It is the responsibility of the student to consult with an advisor early in the EAP planning process for specific information on satisfying this requirement.

For more information on studying abroad as an Economics major, visit the Berkeley Study Abroad (BSA) Office in 160 Stephens Hall, online at or the schedule an appointment with an Economics Adivsor in the Economics Student Services Office in 539 Evans Hall.