In addition to completing the major requirements for graduation, the minimum requirements to receive honors in the Economics department are:
- Have a 3.5 GPA in all upper division economics major coursework
- Have a 3.3 GPA overall
- Complete ECON H195B (Write an approved senior honors thesis)
Students who qualify for department honors can also check the College of Letters Science website to see if they meet the criteria for a level of Distinction at Graduation (Distinction, High Distinction, Highest Distinction): http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu/honor/honor.html. This is determined by the GPA in the upper division Economics core and elective courses, using the same distinction level as the College.
H195A is for senior Economic Majors who:
- meet the GPA requirements of 3.3 overall, and 3.5 in the upper-division Economics courses
- have not taken Econ 191 or an undergraduate research seminar
- plan to write an honors thesis
- completed econometrics or is concurrently enrolled in econometrics. Econometrics is a must.
Econ H195A is only offered in the fall.
Econ H195B is the writing of the thesis. There is no class. Students meet with their individual thesis advisor periodically throughout the term and receive independent study units. Before enrolling in Econ H195B, students must:
- have a 3.5 GPA in all upper division economics major coursework, and have a 3.3 GPA overall
- have completed macroeconomics, microeconomics, and econometrics
- have completed at least one additional upper-division course for the major
- have completed a course in which a research paper is required: Econ H195A, Econ 191, an upper-division undergraduate research seminar (Econ 122, 124, 132, 153, 154, 164, 173), or, with approval, an upper-division Economics elective that requires a research paper. If you would like to have a course other than those enumerated above reviewed for approval, please see an undergraduate advisor. Work in Economics through the Haas Scholars Program can also be used to meet the research requirement for Economics.
Econ H195B must be taken for a letter grade and 3 units. Econ H195B will always be included when calculating the major GPA for level of honors.
Students are encouraged to choose an Economics faculty member to supervise their thesis. Supervision by a faculty member outside the Economics Department is subject to approval by the Undergraduate Chair.
There are copies of prior semesters theses available online at the undergraduate thesis website. Some submissions have been omitted because they contain proprietary data, or because we do not have permission from the author to post the work. This is not a reflection on the quality of their work. All work is © 2009-2015 by the individual authors. All rights reserved.
TO APPLY: Please bring your completed application, signed by your faculty advisor to 539 Evans Hall. Students will be emailed instructions on how to enroll in ECON H195B during Phase II after honors eligibility requirements are verified. The deadline to apply for Econ H195B for spring 2018 is Friday, December 8th at 4pm.
Honors students are required to turn in a copy of their thesis to their thesis advisor. Theses are typically due on the last day of instruction, but faculty sponsors can require an earlier deadline. Students must also email a .pdf of their thesis to the undergraduate advising office. This thesis will not be posted on the web without permission.
For more information about deadlines, please see our honors timeline.
All honors students who have written a thesis by the time of the commencement ceremony are listed in the Commencement program, with the title of their thesis shown. The honors designation also appears on all transcripts and the UC diploma. Please note: if a student is walking prior to writing the honors theses, they will not be listed with the honors candidates in the Commencement program.