Installing the printers:
Note: If you are connecting wirelessly from on campus, you must use AirBears2 or Eduroam; CalVisitor is not compatible with this service.
Before beginning the installation, please synchronize your CalNet passphrase at https://net-auth-p2.calnet.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/krbsync.
For Windows 7, Vista, or 10:
- Click Start.
- In the seach box at the bottom of the start menu, type: \\ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu\printername (i.e., \\ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu\ECON-LP1 or \\ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu\ECON-LP6). There may be a delay of a few minutes as your computer connects to the print server.
- If prompted to login, enter your CalNet ID for user name and CalNet ID passphrase for the password. Be sure to check the box to save your login information. (Note: In some cases, you may need to enter your user name as as campus\[CalNet ID].) The driver will download from the server; it may make a few minutes.
For Windows 8 and 8.1, follow the same procedure but press Windows-R and enter the path into the Run box.
ECON-LP1: HP LaserJet 4015X , 616a printer, 616 Evans Hall(EML)
ECON-LP6: HP LaserJet 4015X, 616b printer, 616 Evans Hall (EML)
For Macs running Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, Sierra, or High Sierra:
- Go to System Preferences, the Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
- Click the + sign, then select Add Other Printer or Scanner (if you see that option).
- Right-click or Control-click in a blank area of the the Add Printer toolbar
- Select "Customize Your Toolbar"
- Drag the "Advanced" gear icon into the toolbar
- Click "Done"
- Click "Advanced", from the "Type" drop down menu select: "Windows printer via spoolss"
- In the URL field, type: smb://ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu:139/ECON-LP1 or smb://ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu:139/ECON-LP6
- Choose the driver (the generic PostScript driver will work with the EML printers)
- When printing for the first time, enter CalNet ID as campus\[CalNet ID] and passphrase, click the box "Remember this password in the keychain." (In rare circumstances, you may need to enter your CalNet ID without the campus\. Try this only if the campus\[CalNet ID] format does not work.)
For Ubuntu Linux:
Note before adding printers:
- Make sure that your Ubuntu is configured with Samba (sudo apt-get install smbclient)
- You may need to put "client max protocol = SMB2" in the [global] section of your /etc/samba/smb.conf
Instructions for Ubuntu 17.10:
- Open the Activities overview and start typing Printers.
- Click Printers.
- Click on Additional Printer Settings.
- Click on Add
- Under Devices - Network Printer select Windows Printer via SAMBA
- On the section SMB Printer, type "ls-printserver.ls.berkeley.edu:139/ECON-LP1" in the field smb://
- Select Set Authentication details now.
- Under Username, enter campus/your_calnet_id and your CalNet passphrase for your password. Click Forward
- Select the Model of the printer HP and Model Laserjet M604 M605 M606 Postscript. Click Forward. If your computer doesn't have the right driver, you may need to set the driver to be a Generic PostScript printer.
Checking your quota:
Login with your CalNet ID and passphrase.