The application for Spring 2018 is open now.
Please make sure you meet all requirements before applying:
- Be in Berkeley, and available, from the official start of the semester until all grading responsibilities for the final exam are completed. Please note that the semester officially begins, typically, a week before classes start. The Spring 2018 Semester begins on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
- Enroll and attend Econ 375, Pedagogy Workshop for Economics- Orientation is on January 11, 2018, 1-5 pm (Attendance is mandatory)
- Attendance at course lectures is required for all GSIs and Readers unless otherwise specified. Check your availability on the Online Schedule of Classes before applying to any given position.
- UC Berkeley Graduate GPA of at least 3.1 (3.0 for Reader or Tutor positions).
- A graduate student, enrolled in at least 8 units during the semester you will hold the position. This means that if you go on Filing Fee Status, you will NOT be eligible to be a GSI, GSR, Reader or Tutor.
- Have no more than 2 incomplete grades in upper division or graduate level classes.
- Additional requirements for international students and first-time GSIs.
You will need to authenticate via the CalNet system in order to apply. You can check the Online Schedule of Classes for course scheduling information.
If you need assistance or have any questions or comments, please contact the Department of Economics Head GSI, Katarina Jensen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once you have been offered and accepted a position, you will meet with Campus Shared Services staff to begin the hiring paperwork. Marianne Callahan is the department's HR Partner and she will typically arrange all necessary meetings to complete the hiring process.
Collective Bargaining Agreement
The titles GSI, Reader, Tutor, and are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the University and the United Automobile Workers (UAW). Under the language of the contract, students hired in these titles are referred to as Academic Student Employees (ASEs); you will find this acronym used in the contract and in campus communications.
The current UAW Academic Student Employees Unit contract is available here. GSRs are not covered by the agreement.