All registration is done via Cal Central. Please see the Graduate Student enrollment page for more information.
- Unit Requirements for Full-time Study
- Special Course Numbers (Econ 298, Econ 299, Econ 301 and Econ 602)
- 12 units for all domestic and international students.
- ECON 298: Directed group study to be used by students in the Fall semester of their second year for the econometrics paper requirement. Students should register for 1 unit of 298 pass/fail. Class entry codes available from the Economics Graduate Office.
- ECON 299: Independent supervised study to be used by students engaged in research for their dissertation after completion of field exams. Students who have advanced to candidacy may enroll in up to 9 units per semester; all other students are limited to 6 units per semester. ECON 299 may not be taken concurrently with ECON 602. Permissions numbers (PN) are available from the Economics Graduate Office, upon receipt of the 299 Application Form signed by the faculty supervising the work.
- ECON 301: GSI Practicum to be used by students serving as GSI's. Permission numbers are distributed by the Head GSI. For students that are serving as GSI's for the first time, PNs will be distributed before the first meeting of ECON 375.
- ECON 602: Independent unsupervised study to be used to prepare for field and oral exams and by students that require units for their work as GSR's. Students who have passed their orals may not enroll in ECON 602. ECON 602 and ECON 299 may not be taken concurrently. Students may not have more than 16 units of 602 during their time of graduate study at Berkeley. Permissions numbers (PN) are available from the Economics Graduate Office, upon receipt of the 299 Application Form signed by the faculty supervising the work.
If you find yourself waitlisted for a course or needing a PN for a course other than those listed above, see Heather Iwata in 541 Evans Hall.